Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cold Blooded Fun

Texas Reptile Expo this weekend. I promised the lady that I wouldn't bring home any new babies. I do need a good set of snake hooks though. I had a run in with some water moccasins this weekend. I got a little brave and grabbed a few to pull them out of their burrows....Afterward I thought...Man, if I would have gotten bit by one out here, it would be really tough to make it to a hospital in time. So yeah, getting' some snake hooks.

While I'm chatting....I would like to clear something up on water moccasins. Any redneck in Texas will see a snake in the water and always assume that it is a water moccasin...And then proceed to blast away with his shotgun at it. Moccasins are a very nasty snake and have the potential to be fatal if you are bit...They're very aggressive and should be avoided. So how do you know if the water snake is a moccasin? An adult will be almost black with checkered black on it's belly. It will have slit pupils not round....And like the copperheads and rattlesnakes of Texas....Moccasins are pit vipers. This means that they have special heat sensing pits between each eye and nostril. Check it out here. Anyway, don't go blasting away at every water snake you see. They are not all harmful....Better yet, don't blast any snake, just be careful.

1 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger RB said...

damn, this has to be the boring'est blog on the planet! -- hahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home